Welcome guest Dr. Darya Pino Rose to episode 270 of the show~. She has a neuroscience Ph. D. from UC San Francisco, wrote the book Foodist: Using Real Food and Real Science to Lose Weight Without Dieting, and has posted much content in relation to food and health on her website Summer Tomato.
In 2019, Dr. Rose gave a TEDx Talk in Salem, Oregon about the concept of becoming healthy without focusing on the dieting aspect. Changing the focus of how you respond to something is a more nuanced detail than the steps along the way, and I would always agree to look more at the root of an item than the after-effects. Dr. Rose has seen the issue with the mindset involved with short-term dieting, and the focus on countering the negative, versus reaching towards the great benefits of local produce of greens and vibrant colors. We spoke about this topic, habits, aging, broad perspective, her children, and more.
- bringing a logical viewpoint to any decision-making in life, whether for health maintenance or weight loss
- how the content we put out there can be messages to our past self
- some of the simpler things people can do in relation to eating food and keeping health in good order
- the way that food can taste delicious and still work in your favor
- the farm-to-table movement that had picked up in the Bay Area, and exposition to a different way of taking food in
- how habits are very different based on whether they are internally or externally motivated
- the connection between habits, willpower, and motivation
- how what is presented to us early on in life has such a large impact, and is internalized until we later look back at the time with questioning
- anti-aging research on par with Dr. David Sinclair’s work
- varying one’s focus, from macronutrients to micronutrients, and thinking bigger picture instead of seeking out one specific nutrient
- looking at the origination of your foods, such that they are not heavily adulterated or removed of nutrient density
- Darya’s two toddlers (cute~), the early times, and how personality and traits develop or show themselves early on
- some thoughts on potential future content, and a message for all people about finding and going towards your own values
It was great to have Dr. Rose on the show. She and her husband Kevin Rose are raising their two young children in Oregon. You can check out her website Summer Tomato, pick up her book Foodist on Amazon, or watch her TEDx Talk on becoming healthy without dieting. Long live intellectual discussion~.